Diabetes: children, young people and families
The children’s diabetes team is a multi-award winning, recognised as one of the best in the country. A recent national audit showed that it was among the top performers for supporting children with type 1 diabetes, in terms of quality improvements.
The team has won the following awards:
- Mary McKinnon Named Lecture Award 2018
- Commended Finalist for Diabetes Team of the Year National Diabetes Quality in Care (QiC) 2017
- Winner National Diabetes Quality in Care (QiC) 2015
- Pride Awards Team of the Year 2015
- Highly commended runner-up Diabetes Team of the Year, BMJ UK Award 2015
- Best Diabetes Service Provider for North West DQuins National Peer Review Assessment 2014
The team works very closely with The Lancelots, a Diabetes UK family support group for children with Type 1 diabetes and they have regular meetings to support developments and education for families and children with diabetes.
The team manages all types of diabetes in children and young people. It offers regular, structured education on all aspects of diabetes care for children and young people, both on an individual basis and in a group setting.
Feedback and input from the children and young people is welcomed and encouraged, so that the service is positive for those using it.
The diabetes team has a Facebook page, Southport and Ormskirk Children and Young People Diabetes Team, where children, young people and families can communicate with the diabetes team about any aspect of their care.
Home and school visits are available to educate children, young people , families and carers – including school staff – about diabetes. An insulin pump service, both initiating the pump with ongoing care, support and monitoring, is available to all. Continuous glucose monitor system expertise is available for diagnostic and therapeutic needs for patients, on a case by case basis.
Working closely with adult diabetologists offers a smooth transition from children’s to adult services via transition clinics.
- The team
- Dr May Ng – Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist/Diabetologist
- Dr Jamal Farooqi –Staff Grade Specialist
- Lynne Finnigan – Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Linda Connellan – Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Helen Day – Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Alison Hannah – Highly Specialist Paediatric Diabetes Dietitian
- Michelle Quinn – Diabetes Educator and Patient Advocate
- Dr Dominic Bray – Clinical Child Psychologist
- Dr A Khan – Adult Consultant Diabetologist
- Dr S Khan – Adult Consultant Diabetologist
- Contact details
- Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse – 01695 656 880
- Paediatric Dietitian – 01695 656 766
- Children’s Ward – 01695 656 912/656 612
- Dr May Ng’s secretary 01704 705 180
For new patients, referrals should be made to the on-call paediatric registrar as soon as diagnosis is suspected. Patients should be sent straight to Ormskirk hospital where they will be seen in A&E. There is no need for fasting blood tests. Referrals are accepted up to the young person’s 18th birthday.
For patients transferring into the area, please contact our paediatric diabetic nurse specialists or Dr May Ng directly.
- Useful links
Diabetes UK www.diabetes.org.uk
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation www.jdrf.org.uk
Facebook page for Southport and Ormskirk Children and Young People Diabetes Team